Kaitawa, commissioned in 1948, is one of three power stations that form the Lake Waikaremoana scheme. In 1947 painter Doris Lusk visited a friend who was an engineer at the power station. Lusk painted ‘Landscape, overlooking Kaitawa, Waikaremoana’ the following year. The large pipe running downhill in the foreground is the penstock, taking water from the intake to the powerhouse, which can be seen on the left.
Using this item
Christchurch Art Gallery - Te Puna o Waiwhetu
Oil on board by Doris Lusk, 1948
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.