Charles Heaphy’s December 1839 painting shows a timber yard at Kohukohu, on the Hokianga Harbour. The ships are the Bolina (left) and Francis Spaight. A rowboat is hauling a raft of kauri spars to the ships. Kauri spars, used for ships’ masts, were one of New Zealand’s earliest exports.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.