New Zealand’s first locomotive-powered public railway opened in Christchurch on 1 December 1863. It connected the city and a river port at Ferrymead. Richard Kelly’s engraving of the opening ceremony appeared in the Illustrated London News in March 1864.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.