Fenced potato plantations grow to the right of this fortified Māori pā, drawn around 1845 by Cyprian Bridge. Potato gardens quickly became a very common sight near Māori villages in the 19th century. This may have been Tāmati Wāka Nene’s pā at Ōkaihou.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.