In 1863 the Canterbury Provincial Council built the first railway in New Zealand. This illustration is of the opening, on 1 December 1863, of the line between Christchurch and Ferrymead. In 1867 the line was extended to the port of Lyttelton.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.