Stock breeding and rearing began in New Zealand in 1814 when Reverend Samuel Marsden transferred sheep and cattle from his farm in New South Wales to his mission station in the Bay of Islands. In 1831 Marsden established a new mission in the region, at Waimate North. Cyprian Bridge sketched this idyllic 1845 scene (later made into an engraving), showing sheep resting in the shade of the trees at the Waimate North Mission.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.