Story: Auckland places

Drury naval camp

Drury naval camp

In the early 1860s Drury became a base for the British invasion of the Waikato. This 1863 painting by Henry Scrivener shows the naval camp of HMS Harrier on the Pahurehure Inlet, Manukau Harbour. Supplies were shipped from Onehunga and then transferred to bullock trains (in the background).

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-061-020
Watercolour by Henry Ambrose Scrivener

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret McClure, 'Auckland places - Papakura and the rural south-east', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/16249/drury-naval-camp (accessed 23 April 2019)

Story by Margaret McClure, updated 5 Aug 2016