This is a section of a panorama of St John’s College in Tāmaki, painted by Caroline Harriet Abraham around 1862. The college chapel is to the left and the two school buildings are at far right. Auckland’s proximity to Anglican mission stations and its status as capital led Bishop George Selwyn to found the theological college in 1844. The college and some of its early buildings remain on the site.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.