This 1880 painting by Alfred Sharpe shows the rock of Maketū at Te Maketū near Drury. This was the site of a pā built by Noia, a Wai-o-Hua chief, in the mid-1700s. During the late 1830s another pā was built on the slopes below by Pēpene Te Tihi, a Ngāti Tamaoho chief. In the 1840s Māori established extensive gardens here and provided Auckland with fresh produce. This land was confiscated during the New Zealand wars of the 1860s and Te Maketū was settled by Pākehā farmers. A farmhouse is visible at right.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.