The seals of the Provinces of New Ulster and New Munster were engraved by Benjamin Wyon and sent out with the second Public Seal in 1848. They were used until the creation of six new provinces under the 1852 Constitution Act. Each province had its own seal and these remained in use until the provinces were abolished. After the abolition in 1876 the seals were lost sight of for many years until C. E. Mackay, of Wanganui, made inquiries in 1904 which resulted in all of the seals, except those of Westland and Southland, being located. Later, an impression of the West-land seal was found and in 1940 the Southland provincial seal was located.
Seals are used by some local, ecclesiastical, educational bodies, societies, and associations.
by John Sidney Gully, M.A., DIP.N.Z.L.S., Assistant Chief Librarian, General Assembly Library, Wellington.
- New Zealand Centennial News, Nos. 8, 9, and 12.