The Hop Research Station
The establishment of this Station at Riwaka, Motueka, followed approaches to the Government from growers and brewers who were greatly concerned at the time with the incidence of black root-rot. In 1947 they indicated their willingness to contribute jointly to the cost of research into hop production problems and a Hop Research Committee was formed, leading in 1949 to the establishment of the Riwaka Station. The committee, which is advisory to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, comprises representatives of the Department, the Department of Agriculture, the hop growers, the brewers, and the Cawthron Institute, which cooperates in the research programme. Finance from industry is contributed through a levy on production.