Submitted by admin on April 23, 2009 - 01:35
: On 8 March 1949 the Minister of Works announced that a site near Coal Creek Flat had been chosen for a hydro-electric dam on the Clutha River. A temporary township – soon afterwards called Roxburgh Hydro – sprang up on Coal Creek Flat later in the same year and construction of the dam began. The river was diverted to a temporary channel during the winter of 1954, and by 1956 the main works were completed.
POPULATION: 1951 census, 1,309; 1956 census, 3,043; 1961 census, 488.
by Brian Newton Davis, M.A., Vicar, St. Philips, Karori West, Wellington and Edward Stewart Dollimore, Research Officer, Department of Lands and Survey, Wellington.