In the early years of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand the settlers depended on the churches of the United Kingdom (particularly Scotland) to provide them with ministers, but before long the necessity of training a New Zealand ministry was recognised. In 1876 a Theological Hall (the first professor being the Rev. William Salmond) was established in Dunedin followed in 1909 by the erection of Knox College (the first master being the Rev. William Hewitson). In addition to providing classroom and library accommodation for the Theological Hall, Knox College furnishes residential quarters and tutorial assistance for university students of all faculties and denominations. In 1903 Deaconess College (for many years known as the Presbyterian Women's Training Institute) was established in Dunedin for the training of women workers for service in New Zealand and overseas.