Skip to main content
Browse the 1966 Encyclopaedia of New Zealand
Graphic: An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand 1966.


This information was published in 1966 in An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand, edited by A. H. McLintock. It has not been corrected and will not be updated.

Up-to-date information can be found elsewhere in Te Ara.



Place Names

Although the European history of orderly settlement on the shores of Port Nicholson commences with the appearance of the New Zealand Company in early 1840, sealers, whalers, and traders were established in the region for more than a decade prior to that date. The settlement's link with the New Zealand Company is commemorated in many names of shore features – Somes Island for a Deputy Governor of the New Zealand Company; Lambton Harbour and the reclaimed Lambton Quay after John George Lambton, later, Earl of Durham; Thorndon after the residence of Lord Petre in England; Point Jerningham after E. J. Wakefield, only son of E. G. Wakefield; Chaffers Passage after E. M. Chaffers, captain of the Tory; and Lowry Bay after the mate of the Tory.

Next Part: Geology