Literature on Plant Diseases
New Zealand has a comprehensive literature on plant diseases and their control. Most of the earlier papers appeared in annual reports of the Department of Agriculture and in the New Zealand Journal of Agriculture. For the past 25 years, however, the more technical papers have been published in the New Zealand Journal of Science and Technology and, more recently, in the New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research. Popular papers have continued to appear in the New Zealand Journal of Agriculture and also in the Orchardist of New Zealand, the New Zealand Commercial Grower, and other growers' journals. Articles on the classification of fungi have been published, mainly in the Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand, and some papers have appeared in overseas journals. Articles on plant pathology are too numerous to be cited but a few of the more important books and bulletins are given here.
by Edward Edinborough Chamberlain, D.SC., Director, Plant Diseases Division, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Auckland.
- Fungous Diseases of Fruit Trees in New Zealand, Cunningham, G. H. (1925)
- Rust Fungi of New Zealand, Cunningham, G. H. (1931)
- Plant Protection by the Use of Therapeutants, Cunningham, G. H. (1935)
- Tomato Diseases and Pests in New Zealand and their Control, Atkinson, J. D., Brien, R. M., Chamberlain, E. E., Cottier, W., Jacks, H., Reid, W. D., and Taylor, G. G. (D.S.I.R. Information Series, No. 2) (1949)
- Plant Virus Diseases in New Zealand, Chamberlain, E. E.(1954)
- Plant Protection in New Zealand, Atkinson, J. D., Brien, R. M., Chamberlain, E. E., Cottier, W., Dingley, J. M., Jacks, H., Reid, W. D., and Taylor, G. G. (1956).