NORWOOD, Sir Charles John Boyd
Business director and man of public affairs.
Charles John Boyd Norwood was born at Gympie, Queensland, on 23 August 1871 and came to New Zealand in 1897, when he joined the Wellington Gas Co. He left this in 1912 to found Dominion Motors, and his commercial activities widened to a controlling interest over several large concerns. Apart from his business interests, he was able to take an active part in civic affairs, being a member of the Wellington City Council (1916–23), mayor (1925–27), and member of the Wellington Harbour Board for 35 years. His enterprise was shown in his founding of the Wellington Milk Depot, the Fire Board, and the Free Ambulance, and his standing in the commercial world by his serving terms as president of the Wellington Chamber of Commerce, Wellington Rotary, and the Manufacturers' Association. He has been active in welfare and sporting bodies throughout a long and distinguished career. He was knighted in 1937.
At its meeting on 14 June 1950 the Wellington City Council decided to name the new rose garden, which had just been formed in the Botanical Gardens, “The Lady Norwood Rose Garden” in appreciation of the services rendered to the city by Sir Charles and Lady Norwood. The illuminated fountain in the centre of the rose garden was presented by Lady Norwood in 1956; and in 1960 Sir Charles donated £20,000 for the construction of a new begonia house and winter garden.