Is a prominent and well-known peak on the south shore of Milford Sound, named because of its resemblance to the shape of the bishop's mitre or head-dress, when viewed from the south. The name was probably given by the survey ship HMS Acheron in 1851. The peak rises almost sheer above the Sound to a height of 5,560 ft and the summit actually consists of five closely grouped individual peaks. The best access to the summit is via the western slopes from Sinbad Valley. The peak presents a most striking appearance from the Milford Hotel at the head of the Sound and this view has been publicised in many illustrations and posters.
by Bryce Leslie Wood, M.SC., New Zealand Geological Survey, Dunedin.