The headquarters of the association in its early years were situated at Wellington, where the secretary-treasurer, N. Von Sturmer, resided, but with the appointment of J. W. Cassin as secretary-treasurer about 1907, the offices were moved to Christchurch. In 1955 when W. H. Stewart became general secretary, the headquarters of the association moved to Dunedin. The report presented at the 1904 annual general meeting, presided over by T. M. Wilford, M.H.R., showed that 43 gun clubs throughout New Zealand were affiliated to the association. The association finances were considered good, there being a credit balance of £13 10s. 1d. in hand after making provision for all outstanding liabilities. Already it was being mentioned that pigeons were becoming scarcer and dearer. Shooters were permitted to shoot under assumed names, provided the name was registered at a cost of 1s. Well-known shooting names, such as “Starlight” (E. P. Graham, Dunedin), “Blue Rock”, and “Moonlight” appeared in press reports of the day.
Annual tournaments were conducted until 1915 when, because of the First World War, the association went into recess until 1919. During these years, however, interest in the sport was retained by clubs conducting minor competitions as circumstances permitted. The year 1920 found the association in good heart once again with T. Parker as president and W. Cecil Prince as secretary-treasurer. Already the Parliament of the day was debating the abolition of live-bird shooting and the name of D. F. Dennehy is frequently commended in old records for his work in fighting this threat to the sport. The other matter which concerned the association's council at the time was the rising cost of ammunition, which was a handicap to the progress of the clubs. This problem has remained to the present day.
1924 proved a milestone in the association history. After serving as an executive officer for several years, A. N. “Alby” Turner of Christchurch was appointed general secretary. He held this office for 31 years, during which time he saw the association grow from strength to strength. Not only was he an able administrator, but he was also a fine shot, his best effort being a South Island title.
During his long term of office A. N. Turner served under the following association presidents: Messrs E. F. Stead (Christchurch), A. Dobson (Auckland), E. Groome (Otane), D. F. Dennehy (Christchurch), T. S. Harrison (Methven), R. S. Taylor (Christchurch), and T. M. Glenn (Hamilton). Following the increase in popularity of the sport, L. E. Pole (Ngongotaha) was appointed North Island secretary in 1949. On his retirement in 1957 I. D. Jack (Hamilton) was appointed to this position.
The sport of trapshooting is now administered by the council of the association comprising the president, North Island vice-president, South Island vice-president, five members representing the North Island, and five members representing the South Island. Ninety-four gun clubs throughout the Dominion are affiliated to the association and membership, which is approximately 2,500, is evenly spread throughout the country, the interest in the sport being strong in all districts.
The association's official magazine, Gunshot, launched in 1958, is sent quarterly to all members of the association; it has also a considerable circulation overseas. The association recently affiliated with the Olympic Shooting Federation of New Zealand and it is hoped that New Zealand trapshooters will in the future compete in the Olympic and British Commonwealth games.