BASKETBALL, WOMEN'S INDOOR
Women's Indoor Basketball is a comparatively new sport in New Zealand. It was first played on a competitive basis by the Y.W.C.A. which also organised national tournaments. In 1946 the New Zealand Women's Basketball Association (Inc.) was formed. During the first two years of its existence, the Association had its headquarters in Wellington but in 1948 they were transferred to Nelson. National and Island championships have been held annually since 1947. The numbers of teams competing has made it necessary to divide these into three grades: A; A Reserve; and B grades. Of these, the A and A Reserve grade championships–having eight teams in each–are held at a separate fixture to the B grade. The Island A and B grade championships are held as separate fixtures in their respective Islands. At present there are 4,000 players registered with the New Zealand Women's Indoor Basketball Association but there are a number of unaffiliated players in the smaller centres.
In 1958, a New Zealand team toured Australia and competed in the State championships. During this tour 13 matches were played, New Zealand winning 11 and losing 2. Two years later an Australian team visited New Zealand and won 2 out of 3 test matches.
Late in 1964 a New Zealand team toured Australia and played 12 matches, winning 6 and losing 6.