Mother Mary Joseph Aubert and the Sisters of Compassion started a crèche in Wellington for the children of working women in 1903. Unlike earlier crèches, it was successful. This was probably because, as one of a number of charitable works undertaken by the sisters, it was funded by general donations. This is the 1914 crèche building on Buckle Street opposite the Basin Reserve around 1935. In 2012 the crèche, by then in a different location, closed – at the time it was the longest-running crèche in New Zealand.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.