After disappearing from its original resting place at Mōhakatino, the anchor of the Tokomaru canoe – Te Punga a Matori – was rediscovered in the early 20th century. After being taken to Parihaka it was decided to lodge the taonga (treasure) in the New Plymouth Museum with three trustees elected as guardians. This photograph, taken in September 1927, shows the three original trustees – Nohomairangi Te Whiti, Kapinga McClutchie and Rangi Matatoru Watson – in the museum with the anchor. On the anchor’s left is Poutama Whiria, the adze believed to have been used to make the canoe. It, too, was lost for many generations before being found by a farmer at Pukearuhe in 1923. In the early 2000s both the anchor and adze remained under trusteeship at Puke Ariki museum in New Plymouth.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.