Story: Te reo Māori – the Māori language

Native Land Court

Native Land Court

During proceedings of the Native Land Court, Māori often spoke in te reo Māori, while the minutes were written in English. This group is arriving for a meeting of the court held on 23 January 1925 at Tuahiwi, North Canterbury, to hear claims regarding Ngāi Tahu land sales. Pictured are Hēnare Whakatau Uru, MP for Southern Māori; Chief Judge Robert Noble Jones, president of the court; H. Kahene, interpreter and clerk of the court; and J. Topi, member of the Legislative Council.

Using this item

Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 7, IMG0001

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Rawinia Higgins and Basil Keane, 'Te reo Māori – the Māori language - The spread of English, 1840s to 1900', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/41073/native-land-court (accessed 16 November 2019)

Story by Rawinia Higgins and Basil Keane, published 5 Sep 2013, updated 1 Sep 2015