Story: Ngā tuakiri hōu – new Māori identities

Kāwhia Native School (2nd of 2)

Kāwhia Native School

Proudly displaying their drawings, pottery and woodwork, pupils of the Kāwhia Native School (apparently including several Pākehā) stand outside their schoolhouse in this undated photo. Government-funded native schools were set up in 1867 to provide English-language education in Māori communities. The last surviving native schools were transferred to local education board control in 1969. At that time they were still known as native (rather than Māori) schools, although official use of the term 'native' had ended more than 20 years earlier.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Department of Māori Affairs Collection
Reference: 1/2-038443-F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Rawiri Taonui, 'Ngā tuakiri hōu – new Māori identities - Urban identifiers', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29807/kawhia-native-school (accessed 26 August 2019)

Story by Rawiri Taonui, published 5 May 2011, updated 1 Jun 2017