Victoria Square (centre right), one of a number of squares in central Christchurch, was first known as Market Square. It was the trading heart of the city in the mid-19th century and housed regular market days and fairs. The square was redeveloped as a park in 1896 and 1897, and was later renamed to commemorate Queen Victoria. It is actually made up of triangles intersected by major roads.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Whites Aviation Collection
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment