Story: Wairarapa region

Crossing the Remutakas

Crossing the Rimutakas

Horse-drawn carts ascend the Remutaka Hill Road from the Upper Hutt side in the 1870s. The road over the range had been completed in 1856, improving access to the vital Wellington market. A rail connection over the Remutaka Range opened in 1878.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, James Bragge Collection
Reference: PA7-30-03
Photograph by James Bragge

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Wairarapa region - Transport', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/12114/crossing-the-remutakas (accessed 4 July 2022)

Story by Ben Schrader, updated 1 Mar 2017