An 1896 women’s convention in Christchurch led to the establishment of the National Council of Women. The convention was organised by the Canterbury Women’s Institute, a feminist organisation formed in 1892 to increase women’s participation in politics and public life. These delegates have gathered outside the council chamber of the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 8, IMG0086
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.