Story: New Zealand wars

Plan of Pāterangi pā (1st of 2)

After the battle of Rangiriri, the Kīngitanga (Māori King movement) forces retreated and built a large series of fortifications to protect the area producing most of their food. The centre of these defences was at Pāterangi, where a network of trenches and parapets was built with solid earthworks. Realising that the was highly defensible, the British decided to bypass it. Later in 1864 Captain Edward Brooks of the Royal Engineers returned to the site and drew this plan of the Pāterangi fortifications. Imperial officers were hugely impressed by the intricacy and ingenuity of their design.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0175-01
Lithograph by Captain Edward Brooke

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Danny Keenan, 'New Zealand wars - Waikato war: major battles', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/36918/plan-of-paterangi-pa (accessed 25 April 2019)

Story by Danny Keenan, published 20 Jun 2012, reviewed & revised 8 Feb 2017