Story: Tourist industry

The first Hermitage

The first Hermitage

The first tourist hotel at Aoraki/Mt Cook was called the Hermitage – as were all subsequent hotels there. The first was built at the base of White Horse Hill by surveyor Frank Huddleston in 1884. It was used as a base for climbing and was bought by the government in 1895. It only had 35 rooms. This image was probably taken in the early 1900s. In 1914 the government built a new Hermitage hotel (with 50 rooms) on a more elevated site with better views of the mountains.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-068816; F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret McClure, 'Tourist industry - Tourism in the Southern Alps', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/23177/the-first-hermitage (accessed 18 November 2018)

Story by Margaret McClure, published 11 Mar 2010