In 1858 French missionaries of the Society of Mary (Marists) planted a small vineyard at Meeanee, Hawke’s Bay, to make table and sacramental wine. They began selling red wine to the public in 1870, and one of their wines – from a mid-1880s vintage – won a silver medal at the 1892 Paris Exhibition. After flooding in 1897, the Meeanee vineyard was abandoned and the brothers relocated to Greenmeadows – where Mission Estate was still producing wine in the early 2000s. This is the 1895 harvest at Meeanee.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.