Akaroa Harbour had its own ferry service from the late 1860s, provided by the steamer Pioneer. From 1877 a steamer service ran five times a week around Banks Peninsula, provided by the 95-ton Jane Douglas. There was also the ‘mosquito fleet’: a host of smaller boats that stopped at bays, inlets and small ports. Some operated as ferries, following timetables known to locals.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.