Story: Canterbury region

Addington railway workshops

Addington railway workshops

The Addington railway workshops, established in 1880, produced steam trains and passenger cars, and employed a large staff. By the 1950s road transport was replacing rail, and the workshops closed in 1990. This scene was painted by Louise Henderson in 1930.

Using this item

Christchurch Art Gallery - Te Puna o Waiwhetu
Oil painting by Louise Henderson

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'Canterbury region - Industry', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 23 March 2018)

Story by John Wilson, reviewed & revised 6 Jul 2015