The Christchurch Bicycle Band, also known as Painter's Band, is seen on parade in 1898. This professional band was organised in 1898 by Fred Painter, inspired by the 1890s cycling craze. The skilled musicians and cyclists played one-handed while riding on the unpaved roads of Canterbury. The highly popular band was hired for many public occasions. They made their last ride in 1910.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: CCL Photo CD 5, IMG0053
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment