Story: Marae protocol – te kawa o te marae

Hākari at the opening of a wharenui

Hākari at the opening of a wharenui

A hākari or feast is laid on outside the newly restored wharenui (meeting house) Te Whai-a-te-motu at its opening in Ruatāhuna in 1932. The house was first opened in 1888 and was named Te Whai-a-te-motu (pursuit through the island) to commemorate the pursuit of Māori prophet Te Kooti by government forces.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Sister Annie Henry Collection (PAColl-6098)
Reference: 1/2-030892-F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Basil Keane, 'Marae protocol – te kawa o te marae - Kawa of the marae', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/41347/hakari-at-the-opening-of-a-wharenui (accessed 22 October 2019)

Story by Basil Keane, published 5 Sep 2013