Story: King Country region

Chartered clubs

Chartered clubs

In 1884 the King Country became a 'dry area'. This meant that liquor could not be legally sold in the region, though it was certainly still consumed, whether supplied by illegal sly-groggers or purchased outside the region. The instigation of the dry area was a somewhat rare instance of the government acceding to the wishes of a Māori tribe, in this case Ngāti Maniapoto, and has been referred to as a 'solemn pact' between the two parties.

Dissatisfaction with the restrictive law grew as the regional population increased. By 1930 local councils and citizens were lobbying the government to change the law. At the same time, chartered clubs – places where members could socialise and drink – began to open in the region. They sold liquor to members, which was strictly illegal, though police in some areas tended to ignore this as long as club-goers behaved and alcohol was not sold at all hours. The clubs could obtain liquor licences from 1948, which prompted the opening of more clubs, and prohibition in the King Country was lifted altogether in 1954. The chartered clubs pictured above were still open in the early 2000s.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photographs by Janine Faulknor

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Kerryn Pollock, 'King Country region - Population and society', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/34858/chartered-clubs (accessed 21 May 2019)

Story by Kerryn Pollock, updated 30 Mar 2015