This group is examining white clover at the Plant Research Station, Palmerston North, in 1929. Station director A. H. Cockayne, far left, and grassland specialist E. B. Levy, next to him, were New Zealand’s great advocates of all-grass farming. They contended that New Zealand’s climate was ideal for pasture production and developed a system based on white clover – which fixes nitrogen in the soil, making it available to other plants.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.