The Duke of Gloucester, 1934–35
Prince Henry William Frederick Albert (1900–), Duke of Gloucester and third son of George V and Queen Mary, after a visit to Australia, arrived at Wellington on board HMAS Australia on 15 December 1934.
Amongst other engagements during his stay in Wellington, the Duke laid the foundation stone of the new railway station. His route was by rail to Hawke's Bay and thence by road through Gisborne and Rotorua to Auckland. It was the first time Royalty had visited Gisborne. The Duke returned via New Plymouth, Hunterville, Marton, Wanganui, Palmerston North, and the Wairarapa to rejoin his ship at Wellington on 4 January 1935. At Marton he attended the Marton Jockey Club's New Year meeting and rode T. A. Duncan's Black Man to come fourth in the Ladies Bracelet.
The South Island tour included visits to the West Coast, Timaru, Oamaru, Dunedin, Invercargill, Queenstown, and Lake Tekapo where the foundation stone for the Church of the Good Shepherd was laid. Following a break at Longbeach, the Duke visited Christchurch and attended a reception for South Island Maoris. On the conclusion of the tour, at Lyttelton, HMAS Australia sailed for some fishing in the Bay of Islands before departing for Fiji on 29 January 1935.
In 1944 the Duke returned to Australia as Governor-General.