University of Canterbury School of Art
Fifty years after the school was opened in 1882, powers were granted to the governing body, that of Canterbury College, to cooperate with the University of New Zealand in conferring a Diploma in the Fine Arts. In 1950 the school was recognised as a special school of the university and became part of Canterbury University College. In 1957, Canterbury University College, with the School of Art as an integral part, became the University of Canterbury.
David Blair was the first headmaster, 1882–86, followed by G. H. Elliott until 1905. R. Herdman-Smith, F.S.A.M., was then appointed director until 1917, and he was succeeded by Frederick G. Gurnsay (acting director) 1917–20, Archibald F. Nicoll, O.B.E., 1920–28, Richard Wallwork, A.R.C.A., 1928–45, and Colin G. Lovell-Smith, DIP.F.A., 1945 till 1960. John Simpson was appointed first professor of fine art in 1961.
In 1957 the School moved from premises at the corner of Rolleston Avenue and Hereford Street to the present beautiful site at Okeover, 108 Ilam Road, Riccarton. Consideration is being given to the introduction of a degree course in fine arts and design, and the inclusion of a wide range of additional subjects such as typography, creative photography, ceramics, interior decoration, theatrical design, and design for film and television.