Te Mana o te Reo Māori education resources
A suite of teaching and learning tools designed to help students and teachers explore their own personal connections to te reo Māori.
Through this resource, learners will explore their place in the history of Waitangi Tribunal claims about te reo Māori and the wider Māori language revitalisation movement.
Students will develop their understanding of themes like Whakapapa, Tūrangawaewae, Whanaungatanga, Mana Motuhake, and Kaitiakitanga through studying the history of te reo Māori.
Te Mana o te Reo Māori is a web resource about the history of te reo Māori, with a special focus on the WAI11 claim to the Waitangi Tribunal. The web resource contains a digital story about the decline and revitalisation of te reo Māori; a timeline of events; biographies of te reo Māori champions and supporters; and a public talk with scholars and advocates of te reo.
What’s in this resource?
- English introduction to Te Mana o te Reo Māori education resources (PDF, 1 MB)
- Māori introduction to Te Mana o te Reo Māori education resources (PDF, 1 MB)
Tōku Ara Reo Māori: My Māori Language Journey
12 pages, A4 PDF.
This resource is a student-facing workbook to support self-directed and project-based learning using Te mana o te reo Māori as the learning context. It encourages students to explore the past, present and future of their own Māori language journeys. The resource provides students with activities and templates to help them explore where te reo Māori features in their lives – where they see it, hear it, and speak it in their home, school, community, local environment, region, country, and the world.
Students are encouraged to reflect on their own aspirations for te reo Māori by considering:
- their own relationship with te reo Māori
- the historical and present-day factors that have impacted that journey
- the future of Māori language and how it will feature in their lives and the world
- the role they can play in the revitalisation of te reo Māori.
He Pūkei Whakaahua o Te Mana o te Reo Māori
10 double-sided posters, A4 PDFs
This resource is a set of 10 posters that align with the digital story featured on Te mana o te reo Māori. These can be used in multiple ways by students and teachers to support learning around this topic. The posters are double-sided and provide key focus questions to help students identify what they already know about the topic. They also provide information to support teachers to facilitate group discussions and activities around key concepts and themes that feature in the digital story.
He Aratohu mā te Pouako
9 TSM booklets, A4 PDFs.
- English Teacher Support Materials (zip file, 6.5 MB)
- Māori Teacher Support Materials (zip file, 6.5 MB)
There are nine TSMs that link to this resource. The first TSM is an introduction to the teaching and learning tools provided. It supports teachers to utilise all of the resource components that make up Te mana o te reo Māori. The other eight TSMs each align to a chapter of the digital story content on Te Tai Whakaea. Each of these includes:
- relevant links to Aotearoa New Zealand’s histories in the New Zealand Curriculum
- suggested key points of discussion and concepts for teachers to focus on in that chapter
- suggested activities that link to the themes of Te Takanga o te Wā and the Aotearoa New Zealand histories learning area
- language support for teachers and students.
Complete resource pack
You can download all three resources in one file: