Te Aupōuri and Te Rarawa trace their descent from a number of canoes including Matawhaorua, Kurahaupō, Māhuhu-ki-te-rangi, Māmari and Tinana. Ngātokimatawhaorua was captained by Nukutawhiti. This replica Ngātokimatawhaorua canoe was constructed in 1940 to commemorate the centenary of the Treaty of Waitangi.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Photograph by B. Snowden
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment