In 1880 at Kāwhia the government purchased land originally bought by an early settler before 1840. This was the first toehold the government gained in the region. Town sections were laid out in 1882 and construction of a road between Kāwhia and Alexandra (later Pirongia) started the following year. Māori King movement followers were not happy about the road but opposition was muted.
This changed when beacons to guide ships were erected on land adjacent to the harbour. These were seen as unacceptable claims to the land and were removed, which was seen as a provocative act by the government. Ngāti Maniapoto had recently split from King Tāwhiao, and the beacon incident provided the government with an excuse to make its only show of force against Tāwhiao, which came in the form of an armed constabulary contingent stationed at Kāwhia in October 1883. After discussions with Native Minister John Bryce, Tāwhiao withdrew his objections to the beacons. They were reinstated and the constabulary left.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.