Te Kūiti Native School in King Country opened in 1898. That year the school's inspector reported, 'It seems to have overcome the prejudice of Maoris that are not yet Europeanised so far, that it is generally recognised by Maoris very conservative in other respects, that a school is certainly not a bad thing.' (Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1899, E-2, p. 6). Although the main purpose of native schools was to provide European education to Māori, non-Māori could also attend them, and several non-Māori pupils can be seen in this photo.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.