This monument marks the place where Captain James Cook first landed in New Zealand, in October 1769. The site is also recognised as the landing place of the Horouta and Te Ikaroa-a-Rauru canoes, which brought many of the ancestors of the Tūranganui-a-Kiwa people to the country.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.