In 1866 a cable linked the North Island with the South Island. The first telegram sent on it, on 26 August, was from the governor in Wellington, congratulating the superintendent and people of Canterbury. The telegraph and cable network helped unify the colony and diminish the separateness of the provinces from each other.
The Governor of New Zealand congratulates the Superintendent and inhabitants of the Province of Canterbury on the establishment of the telegraphic communication between the two islands of N. Zealand
Using this item
Christchurch Regional Office, Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: CH287, CP81, ICPS 1291/1866
Permission of Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga (Christchurch Regional Office) must be obtained before any re-use of this material.