The Timaru-to-Christchurch race began in 1899 and re-energised road cycling. The classic event was 100 miles (160 kilometres) and in the early years required travelling on gravel roads. This photography from the 1920s shows riders receiving a mug of milk at Rangitātā, about 25 miles into the race.
Using this item
Permission of the New Zealand Herald must be obtained before any re-use of this image.