In 1887, Ngāti Tūwharetoa chief Horonuku Te Heuheu signed a deed with the Crown to safeguard the peaks of Tongariro (foreground), Ngāuruhoe (middle), and Ruapehu (back). He wanted these central North Island volcanoes included in a national park, to prevent them from being divided and sold. Tongariro National Park, the country’s first, was established in 1894.
Using this item
Photograph by Lloyd Homer
Permission of GNS Science must be obtained before any use of this image.